If your business operates in Queensland, you should be aware that there are certain restrictions under state legislation, for trading hours on Good Friday, which this year is Friday 30 March 2018.
As an exempt shop (other than independent retail shops), these businesses will have unrestricted trading hours, and may trade at any time over the Easter period. Exempt shops include businesses that are often small businesses, such as:
- antique shop
- art gallery or arts and crafts shop
- aquarium, aquarium accessories or pet shop
- bait and tackle or marine shop
- bookseller’s or newsagent’s shop
- bread, cake or pastry shop
- butcher’s shop
- camping equipment shop
- chemist shop
- confectionery shop or ice-cream parlour
Many other types of businesses also come under this category. You can check if your business falls under this classification here.
However, your business is not on this list, it may be an independent retail shop, in which case, it must be closed on Good Friday, unless it’s a predominately food/grocery store. Your business would be considered an independent retail shop if:
- The business is run by an individual, partnership or a proprietary company (does not include a public company or related corporation).
- There are no more than 30 people, including the owner, engaged in the shop at any one time.
- There are no more than 100 people engaged by the owner in all shops throughout Queensland at any one time.
- The business is not conducted within a non-exempt shop or part thereof.
Special exclusions have been made for exempt and independent retail businesses operating in the Mossman/Port Douglas area where there is currently permission for independent retail shops to also participate in unrestricted trading hours for 5 years from 31 August 2017.
Additional trading hours restrictions apply to businesses operating a licensed premises. These businesses must stop serving alcohol by 12am on Good Friday Eve, with patrons then allowed until 12:30am to finish their drinks and leave. All gaming machines must also stop operating at 12am on Good Friday Eve. Alcohol served with a meal is permitted, for licensed businesses, between 10am – midnight on Good Friday, however, no gaming or adult entertainment is permitted on Good Friday at a licensed premises.
Finally, non-exempt shops, i.e. large retailers and hardware stores, or those selling cars or caravans, are required to be closed on Good Friday.
We’ll also be closed on Good Friday, returning to work on Tuesday 3rd April. If you have any concerns about your planned trading hours, be sure to give us a call!