One of the most common questions we’re receiving from our clients is in relation to Workers’ Compensation, also known as WorkCover Queensland.
Under the Workers’ Rehabilitation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (Qld), for any claim to be accepted, whether it be injury or illness, basic criteria must be met;
· the claim was made within the required timeframes;
· the worker was in fact a ‘worker’;
· an injury (diagnosis of COVID-19) has occurred;
· the exposure to COVID-19 occurred in the work environment; and
· the work exposure was a significant contributing factor to the COVID-19 diagnosis.
The challenge we face is predominantly around the last two components, especially as this infection is so easily spread.
Where a claim is lodged for potential COVID-19, WorkCover will also require:
· medical confirmation of COVID-19 diagnosis; and
· evidence to demonstrate that your COVID-19 exposure occurred within your work environment; and
· medical confirmation that your employment was a significant contributing factor to the contraction of COVID-19
Depending on the circumstances, WorkCover may require further information.
WorkCover however still may reject the claim if they are not satisfied the workplace was a significant factor in the diagnosis.
If a worker is found to have COVID-19, please contact us immediately so we can best guide you through this process. This is especially helpful for reducing any unnecessary stress you may be feeling at this time.
We are here to SUPPORT YOU.
Below is a link to WorkSafe Queensland if you require more information.
If you require more information on any of the support solutions available to you or your business, here are some important links we’ve shared from Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, recent email.
Business.gov.au support line:
13 28 46
Small or medium business with reduced cash flow?
Here’s what we’re doing to boost your cash flow.
Is your business financially distressed?
This is what we’re doing to support you.
Assisting the economic recovery
Here’s how we’ll support you to grow.
Employ an apprentice or trainee?
This support is for you.
Are you a sole trader that has lost business?
This is what we’re doing to support you and your business.
Household finances hit by reduced work?
Here’s what we’re doing to help support your family budget.
*This is general information only and doesn’t take your specific circumstances into account.