Inspired by a recent post we saw on the Queensland Health Facebook page, we’ve decided to put together this resource of simple self care ideas, all of which you can do at work, or during your lunch break.
- Have a glass of water. Many of us don’t drink enough water every day, plus it gets you out of your seat (or wherever you are) and gives you a chance to focus and re-energise.
- Read a book. Choose a topic that you love and give yourself 30 minutes to sit in peace and read. It might feel strange if you haven’t read a book for a while to take this time for yourself, but you’ll quickly enjoy the benefits of this escape.
- Meditate. Meditation can be as simple as choosing a quiet place, in solitude and giving yourself a few moments to relax. It doesn’t have to be a 2 hour guided process where your mind is completely clear. Just acknowledge the thoughts and move past it.
- Talk to a friend. Reach out to a good friend who leaves you feeling positive and have a chat. Connecting with friends in real life or over the phone helps keep personal relationships strong.
- Stretch. Whether it’s performing a few yoga poses, or stretching at your desk, stretching helps you to relax and loosen up tight muscles. Many of us spend hours in effectively the same position all day, so setting a reminder to stretch for a few minutes can be helpful for feeling better.
- Go for a walk. Getting outside (ideally, without your phone) is a great way to gift yourself some simple self care. It doesn’t have to be far, even 10-15 minutes will help with a fresh perspective in the fresh air.
- De-clutter. It could be your desk, your office or a space inside your home. It’s even better if you can share the love by donating some of the clutter you don’t need in your life, to charity, for people who are less fortunate.
What do you do for simple self care?