Workplace Central is passionate about fostering joyful workplaces and promoting health and wellbeing in the workplace, but we know there are some industries and roles that are make maintain a healthy lifestyle more challenging.
It can be tricky to make healthy choices and keep positive body and mind practices if you’re constantly on the road, driving past all the fast food chains in every suburb and not able to participate in many physical activities.
However, there are some small changes you can make to your driving routine that can help you eat healthier, take care of your body and keep your mind and focus nice and healthy too!
Here are our Top Tips for Drivers:
- Try to book in a couple of activities in close geographic proximity so you can park the car in one spot and walk around to your various appointments. Plus, when possible, take the stairs instead of lifts and escalators.
- When you get out of the car, do a couple of leg, arm and back stretches.
- Keep up your hydration with water and not too much coffee or sugary drinks.
- Pack yourself healthy snacks and keep a cooler bag in the car with your healthy lunch so you’ve got quick access to food and aren’t tempted to drive through a fast food option.
- Make sure you stop for meals – don’t just eat in the car. Even just a quick 15-minute stop will enable you to get out and stretch, focus on your food and have a break from driving. It will make a huge difference to your mental wellbeing too.
- Try to maintain good posture while you’re driving so you can minimise aches and pains.
The best way to ensure a healthier lifestyle while driving is to be well organised and plan your stops and meals in advance. If you leave too much to chance you’re more likely to be stressed, over-booked and reaching for quick-fix options that are generally sugar-filled, fast food options that are convenient but not healthy.
Let us know in the comments or on our social media pages if you have any tips for regular drivers!